Well, we are finally back in Barbados after spending the last several weeks in DC. It’s nice to be back to warm weather, have my own bed again, and not be living out of a suitcase, but it’s always sad to leave family and friends especially for Gwyneth. So before we left, we had a wonderful afternoon with my mom (her Nana) and made these fabulous peeps rice krispie treats I was loving a couple weeks ago. Yes, they’re made with peeps!!!
Perfect for Easter and spring, these are so adorable! My daughter, aged 5, was so incredibly excited to eat these when we finished. As promised, we gave them to my parents’ neighbor’s girls as goodbye presents and to a family friend’s daughter who had a playdate with Gwyneth. She had so much fun with her friends that we just had to give them little presents. And of course, we ate a few too!
First, choose four colors from the peeps rainbow for your recipe. We used pink, orange, blue, and purple. You could choose just two and alternate the colors for the layers; or three colors if you want fewer layers; or even all colors if you want more layers. It’s your creation. Look at all the options…
Next, place your first color in a bowl, add butter, and microwave.
Add the rice krispies, stir, and sneak a taste!
Then layer in a loaf baking dish.
Finally, place two peeps on top, wrap them with a bow, and give them to your favorite little someone.
These are so incredibly easy, they’re the perfect treat to bring to your next springtime event!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 4 different colored 3oz packages of marshmallow peeps (10 peeps per color)
- 6 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- Line a 9-inch loaf pan with foil, then spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Place first color of peeps and 1 tablespoon of butter into a medium-sized microwave bowl. The peeps expand significantly when heated so be sure to use a large enough bowl.
- Microwave on high the peeps and butter for 45 seconds.
- Lightly spray a spatula with cooking spray and immediately stir microwaved mixture together well.
- Pour in 1½ cups of cereal and mix until well coated.
- Press firmly into the loaf pan.
- Repeat steps 2-6 with the other peeps colors.
- Allow to cool completely 1 to 2 hours.
- Cut into one inch slices and enjoy!
- For gooey treats, use one cup of rice krispies for each color.
- Keep a can of cooking spray handy. I used it for the spatula and it worked wonders while mixing and layering the marshmallow mixture.
- If using cookie cutters, use a shallow pan and layer with fewer colors.
What’s your favorite Easter treat? Are you a peeps fan?