One of the best things about celebrating Canada Day and the 4th of July are, of course, the fireworks! There’s something so magical about fireworks, and no matter how many times I see them, I’m always amazed. As a child, watching the light show always meant running around a field with my friends, playing with sparklers, and being super excited that I was allowed to stay up so late. As an adult, I’ve come to appreciate a more sophisticated way to enjoy the show.
- Pack a few blankets. One to sit on, and another to keep you warm when the sun sets and the air gets cooler.
- No nation celebration is complete without some sparklers and glow sticks!
- Dusk is dinner time for mosquitos. Pack some family friendly repellent to keep those bug bites at bay.
food & drink
- Pack up those leftovers from your bbq earlier in the day. Check out our post on how to throw a nation celebration for some great recipe ideas.
- Grab a bottle of wine and some wine glasses. Plastic glasses are best, and don’t forget the corkscrew. Better yet, choose a wine with a screw cap so you can easily transport a half-empty bottle (is there such a thing?). If you’re driving, skip the wine and choose sparkling cider instead.
- Every great show needs popcorn!
- If I know I’m going to take a lot of video, I pack this little video camera. It’s light and portable, and saves the battery on my iPhone.
- Wireless or battery operated speakers are great for listening to your favorite tunes while you wait for the fireworks to begin, or for the after party.
Will you be watching the fireworks in your neighborhood?
Do you have any other items to add to my list of fireworks essentials?