Please note that I am not a licensed trainer. I am simply sharing workouts based on my own experiences and that I enjoy. Please consult with your doctor before starting a new exercising program.
I’m a tennis player, and while I’ve only been playing the sport for a few years, I’ve realized that the stronger you are, the better your game. Strong legs allow you to squat and reach those low shots, run to get to the ball, and generally increase your stamina and power.
While I do see an amazing personal trainer once a week (read about the benefits of having a trainer here), I was still having a difficult time getting to the gym for a legs session. I also travel a lot, and sometimes the hotel gyms leave a lot to be desired. So I created this no weight, no excuses leg workout. It can be done at home or in a hotel room, and completed in about 20 minutes. Don’t let the fact that there are no weights fool you. This is a tough leg workout. You’ll feel the burn…trust me!
Tip: As you complete this workout, be sure to keep checking your form, especially as you get tired. Proper form is crucial in preventing injury.
proper form for squats
- lower yourself by hinging your hips and pushing your bum back and out
- your knees should not protrude past your toes and you should feel the weight in your heels
- keep your spine straight and your head and chest up
- ideally your bum would drop below your hips, but only go as low as you comfortably can
proper form for lunges
- keep your upper body straight
- step forward with one leg and lower yourself until both knees are bent at a 90-degree angle
- make sure that your front knee is above your ankle, and does not protrude over your toe
- your back leg should be parallel to, but not touching, the ground
- keep the weight in your heels as you push back up to your starting position
For tutorials on how to complete each move in this workout, check out these links. Remember, weights are optional:
What’s your favorite travel workout?
Do you prefer leg day or arm day at the gym?